Magento is an open source (or open core if you prefer) ecommerce systems. Similar to WordPress with plugins (a great blogging platform) Magento has an architecture that allows extensions. Extensions allow 3rd party developers to add functionality to the core system. Over on Magento Connect the official Magento extensions site there are over 3000 extensions from erp/crm integration through to iPhone support both free and open source to some quite expensive premium extensions.
We are currently working on a few Magento sites and below is a quick list of some of the extensions we are currently looking at:
- Twitter just released it's official Tweet Button that allows people to share content on Twitter without having to leave your website. This new Magento Tweet Button Module includes 3 customizable layouts with an optional tweet count.
This module will populate all CMS (including the home page), Catalog, and Product product pages with tweet buttons. You can also customize the tweet message per page type.
- Extended Sitemap allows you to display all of your existing Catalog Categories, Products, CMS Pages and additional configurable links with a hierarchical structure SEO optimized for web spiders on a single Site Map page available through your store footer link, e.g. http://www.example.com/sitemap/
- The Facebook Connect module allows visitors to your site easy registration with their facebook.com logi
- Be where your customers are – this is the simple mantra for most successful businesses. Chances are, a large number of your customers are on Facebook! After all, it is the among the top 6 websites in terms of traffic, as reported by comScore. So, create a presence on your customers’ Facebook Walls and get a distinct competitive edge over your competitors. Our Facebook Link extension helps you do exactly that.
- This is a beta program for the World Wide Access Cloud Backup extension. This extension will allow you to create backups of your entire store and database and send it to an offsite cloud storage service (Amazon S3). You can also allow automated backups which will send the backups to the cloud everyday for piece of mind in the event of a data disaster.
Please note, the beta program and software is likely to change as we develop new features. Please only participate if you are happy with that.
- Magento extension for submitting your store sitemap to Google, Yahoo, Ask and Bing called Sitemap Submit. This extension can submit automatically whenever the sitemap is regenerated, or on-demand from the Magento admin interface. This extension is currently (10/2010) in beta and you will need to change your Magento Connect settings to allow beta extensions.
- This extension provides complete control of SMTP server settings for Magento. You can specify authentication methods from None, Login, Plain or CRAM-MD5. You can choose to secure the connection with SSL or TLS, or disable secure connections completely. The host and port are configurable. The extension includes a self test option, which lets you verify your settings are correct and it works with Magento Newsletters, two features you may not find in other, older, SMTP extensions. This extension is currently (10/2010) in beta and you will need to change your Magento Connect settings to allow beta extensions.